Friday, 18 November 2016

What do I have to do to bring my pet bird with me to Alaska?

What documentation is needed for traveling to/from a foreign country with a live pet exotic bird?
All parrots and many other pet birds are regulated by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the Wildbird Conservation Act.
If you intend to leave Alaska and travel to a foreign country (including Canada) with such a pet bird, you must obtain a permit from the Service's Office of Management Authority (OMA). Applications must be received by OMA at least sixty days in advance of your travel. Contact OMA at 1-800-358-2104 (toll free). Additional information can also be obtained from the Service's International Affairs Office.
If you have lived outside the United States for at least one year, you may import into the United States a maximum of two pet birds per year. Before returning to Alaska or any another area of the United States, you should apply to OMA for a permit to import your bird(s). Again, an application must be received by the (OMA)
at least sixty days in advance of your travel. 
When you arrive in the United States with the bird(s), you must present documents showing that you have lived outside the United States for at least a year, that each bird was obtained legally, and that the foreign country where you reside or resided authorized the export of the bird(s).
You must also file a "Declaration for the Import or Export of Wildlife" (USFWS Fm 3-177) at the time of import.
For information on whether the above restrictions apply to your pet bird(s), please contact OMA at 800-358-2104, or our Import/Export Office in Anchorage at 907-271-6198. Canaries, budgerigars ("budgies") and cockatiels are exempt from the above permit requirements. 
pet bird
If you plan on flying directly to or from Alaska to or from anywhere in the contiguous United States (domestic travel), the only documentation required for you pet bird(s) is a health certificate from an accredited veterinarian, as required by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Thursday, 17 November 2016

What documentation is needed for travelling to/from a foreign counrty with a live pet exotic bird?

If traveling internationally with an exotic pet bird, federal wildlife laws require a certain documentary requirements.

 exotic pet bird

At the time of importation/exportation, these requirements include:
(1) having a CITES permit and/or a Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA) permit
(2) the filing of FWS Declaration form 3-177.

If you are importing the bird into the U.S., a WBCA import permit and a CITES permit issued by the a specific governmental authority in the foreign country where you departed are needed.

If you are exporting from the U.S., a CITES permit issued by the Office of Management Authority is needed. Canaries, budgerigars ("budgies") and a number of other species are exempt from any FWS permit requirment. 

Questions regarding the U.S. wildife permits can be directed to the Office of Management Authority in Fairfax, VA, 
at (800) 358-2104 
or the FWS Import/Export Office (Anchorage, AK) at (907) 271-6198.

Monday, 14 November 2016

Ontario Avian Veterinarians

avian vet

Ontario Avian Veterinarians:   

Association of Avian Veterinarians:

Amherst Veterinary Hospital
Dr. Hester
Scarborough (Toronto), Ontario
(416) 261-3322
Anderson Veterinary Clinic
Jim Holmes
1200 Rossland Rd. East
Whitby, L1N 8H3
Phone: 1-905-666-4004
Animal Hospital of High Park
3194 Dundas St W.
Phone: 416-763-4200
Dr Karen Regan 
(Owner and over twenty year experience)
Dr Robin Lane (Avian Board Certified)
Dr Jennifer Thompson
Dr Ginger Louws
Bells Corners Animal Hospital
Donald McKiel
326 Moodie Drive
Phone: 613 820-1641
Fax: 613 820-7131
Bowmanville Veterinary Clinic
Wendy Korver
2826 King St. E.
Phone: 905-623-4431
Fax: 905-623-1309
Brack Animal Hospital
Darlene House
2621 Howard Ave
Windsor, N8X 3W7
Phone: 519 966-1020
Fax: 519 966-4745
Britannia Animal Hospital
John Valsamis
3755 Britannia Rd. West
Mississauga, L5N 7X6
Phone: 905-824-7387
Burloak Animal Clinic
Dr. Zenker
3060 Lakeshore Rd
Oakville, Ont.
Phone: 905-827-117